I remember someone told me to avoid drafting rookies in Fantasy Leagues because they were always overrated. I certainly didn’t shy away from picking rookies in drafts but i assured myself that I won’t reach so I ended up not having any of the newcomers this year. In this article, we will look at some of the notable rookies of the 2018 NBA draft and their status in the ongoing 2018 Fantasy Basketball season. Let’s go.
1. Deandre Ayton – Y!Adp9=52, Current Rank=27 – Ayton is currently averaging 16.9 PPG, 10.0 RPG, 3.3 APG and just 1.4 TPG. He is not yet spectacular in defense 0.6 SPG and 0.6 BPG, but he is outstanding in percentages at 61.6% FG and 85.7% FT. Those who drafted Ayton in the 5th round should give themselves a pat on the back. The former Arizona Wildcat and the number 1 overall pick of the 2018 NBA draft is exceeding expectations and is currently crushing his ADP. He is absolutely a nice player to own in roto and a nice guy to draft in almost any kind of H2H team builds.
2. Luka Doncic – Y!Adp9=73, Current Rank=102 – The Don is averaging 19.6 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 4.4 APG, 0.9 SPG, 0.4 BPG and 2.8 3PG. Those are solid counting stats but he is barely outside top 100 right now due to his mediocre 45.8% FG, 71.4% FT and massive turnover rate of 4.0 TPG. His FG% might really just be in 44-45% range and FT could be in 75% at the end of the season but he may learn to take care of the ball more which maybe just enough to put the 19 year old Slovenian sensation and former Euroleague MVP to top 80.
3. Trae Young – Y!Adp9=98, Current Rank=127 – If you drafted Trae in your fantasy basketball team, you should have probably prepared yourselves about his low 42.9 FG% and high turnover rate of 3.0 TPG. He is averaging a very useful 19.0 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 6.6 APG and 2.3 3PG. If only the baby-faced assassin can improve his steals rate of 0.6 SPG, it will certainly help his rankings because he is capable of putting up top 100 stats.
4. Jaren Jackson Jr. – Y!Adp9=96, Current Rank=97 – The recent injury to Jamychal Green somewhat accelerated the development of the number 4 overall pick of the 2018 NBA draft. He is averaging 11.5 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 1.3 APG, 1.2 SPG and 1.0 BPG in just 22.6 MPG. He is one of the few big men who helps in blocks but won’t hurt you in free throws, 81.0% FT. Don’t mind his stats in the last 2 games. His minutes were only limited due to foul trouble. He is certainly a nice big man to own in fantasy basketball this year and it started early.
5. Wendell Carter Jr. – Y!Adp9=91, Current Rank=118 – In the first 5 games, the shot-block specialist is averaging 5.5 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 2.2 APG, 0.0 SPG, 1.8 BPG and a measly 43.6% FG and 71.4% FT. But in his last 3 games, he averaged 17.6 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 3.3 APG, 1.33 SPG and 1.67 BPG while shooting 47% FG and 87.6% FT. He is also the top 3 9-category player in the last October 31 NBA slate. The former Duke Blue Devil and the number 7 overall pick of the 2018 NBA draft is oozing with confidence right now and he is getting the minutes already. He is probably not available on your waiver wire anymore. Congrats to those who were able to snag him in either re-draft or dynasty leagues.
Alright folks, those are some of the remarkable NBA rookies of the 2018 Fantasy Basketball season. In case you wanna know where are the other rookies, Marvin Bagley III is currently ranked 169th, Mohamed Bamba is 144th, and Collin Sexton is ranked 236th.
Stats are based on standard 9cat H2H. Please also take note that I made this article after the 7 game slate of October 31, 2018 NBA Sched.
Thank you for reading my blog. If you have any suggestions and comments, feel free to leave a message and you may follow me on facebook and twitter @fantasybbcrew
Stats source: Basketballmonster.com
Image Source: http://www.nba.com